COVID-19 and 1P-231 Laboratory Closure

The department chair and the campus administration have decided that for everyone’s own safety we should not be congregating in the 1P-231 laboratory during this period. At first the university was going to allow our lab to remain open but that decision has since been changed. You should all continue to study for the exam for now using the study questions, quizzes I have returned to you and chapters we covered in class.

The final will now have to be online through the Blackboard platform, there will still be exercises you will need to finish in addition to a timed multiple choice exam instead of my customary short answer portion that you will need to submit through Blackboard. I am still working out some of the exam and the logistics. I know this will be an adjustment for many of you but I am sure we will all get through this together. I will send out another email when more info is available. However it is very important that you all, in all three sections for the first half of the semester contact me at my email: steven.hager@csi.cuny.edu, when I sent out emails en mass after the “Instructional Recess” began last week more than half of you never responded. From now on I will be using the Blackboard platform to contact you.

It is important for you to know that you must finish the timed exam in the time allotted and that leaving that window will cause Blackboard to submit your exam even if it is not completed. I will allow you time to complete and submit the practical exercises separately and you will be able to work at your own pace on these but there will most likely be a time and date these must be submitted by.

It would be very helpful to me if you could let me know if you have a lap top or desktop computer? Mac or Windows and if you know whether the machine has at least 8gigs of RAM? Also whether you have already exploited your 1 week free trial of Adobe Creative Cloud? Right now Emmanuel our Senior CLT in charge of the facilities has been working with the office of Information Technology to get students access through their CUNYfirst credentials at home but we have not gotten a final resonse from them as of posting this. I also need to know if you do not have acess to a Windows or Mac computer and are only able to access email,the blog and readings through your smart phone or mobile device. All of this info will be kept strictly confidential.

Stay safe and best regards,
Steve​​
Steven J. Hager
Adjunct Lecturer / Adjunct CLT
Department of Media Culture
College of Staten Island
City University of New York